Bunker Hill and Suillivan Mill was the site of several bitter strikes by mine workers in 1887 and 1890. In 1894 mine owners closed the mine over winter rather than give in to union demands. They later reopened the mine by illegally using only non-union workers. On April 29, 1899 union workers destroyed the Bunker Hill and Sullivan concentrator and burned the office and the boardinghouse. This action led to massive arrests by federal troops.