About the year 1900, Mr. Joseph Gilbert along with Col. W.J. Sutherland formed the Alaska Perseverance Mining Co. This company drove the Alexander cross-cut, the orebody being intersected at a point 2000 ft. from the tunnel portal. A 100-stamp mill was erected just below the portal of the tunnel and commenced operations in 1907 continuing until 1912 when it was destroyed by fire. In 1910 the company was reorganized under the name of the Alaska Gastineau Mining Company.